Granting permission to the Lab. of Archaeometry, Department of Mediterranean Studies of the University of the Aegean for the start of geophysical survey and excavation research at the location “Kastrouli” Desfina, province of Phokis, Region of Central Greece, under the archaeological direction of Dr A. Sideris, and Project Leader and Director of arcaheometric-environmental work by Professor Ioannis Liritzis, in the framework of a five-year program (2016-2020) according to the ministerial order no. 5480/542 / 21-06-2016 (ΑΔΑ: Ψ3ΛΗ4653Π4-ΝΑΝ). In this stage American colleagues specializing in the Bronze Age participated in particular the University of California San Diego under the direction of Prof Tom Levy as co-PI and his team. The excavation was also organized as an accredited summer school .2017
The Kastrouli 2017 excavation season was also an accredited summer school . It was another satisfactory period with students over all the World. The excavation included a house and interesting architectural remains were revealed. Archaeometrical applications were made in situ using pXRF, Raman spectroscopy, GPS, a Drone octacopter with high resolution, differential magnetometer gradiometer. The excavated buildings were georeferenced in the Kastrouli grid of 5x5m squares (made by Prof. A.Georgopoulos of the National Polytechnic University). Sampling for luminescence dating was made of fortified stone walls, the tomb and ceramics,, also human and animal bones for isotopic data of human bones for ancient diet, and ceramic and local clays for the characterization & provenance of ceramics by XRD, XRF, SEM-EDS. thin sections & PLM.2018
This is the third year that the archaeological and archaeometric research of the LM IIIB-C and later phases prehistoric settlement of Kastrouli Desphina (Delphi) which is successfully conducted, with significant finds in this year too. The scientific coordinator of the Project by the University of Aegean and director of archaeometric research is Prof. Ioannis Lirintzis and the Director of Archaeological Research, Dr. Ath. Sideris. Also, co-PI are Associate Professors Andrew Koh from the University of Brandeis, Massachusetts, with whom the Department of Mediterranean Studies has signed a collaboration protocol (MOU), and Kate Birney from Wesleyan University, USA, together with staff from Brandeis Ian Roy photography-Robotics expert. Current activity included excavation research, high-resolution photographs with different types of drones, portable photogrammetry and photography with structured light, preservation of the finds by conservationists Dr C.Karydis and Mrs M.Panagopoulou, on site at the processing station.2019 – 2020
The years 2019 and 2020 were dedicated to the conservation study, 3D images and cataloguing all materials found.2021-
The 2021 summer season is planned with conservation, archaeometry and environmental studies.
Liritzis Ioannis, Project Initiator, Director of Archaeometry – Environment.Liritzis Ioannis is a Professor of Natural Sciences-Archaeometry at the University of the Aegean (1999-2021) and Distinguished Professor at Henan University, China (2017- ). He is also Dean of Natural Sciences of the European Academy of Sciences & Arts (Saltzburg).
- Dr. Sideris Athanasios, Director of the archaeological excavation (2016-2020).
- Prof. Levy Tom, Dept. of Anthropology, University of California San Diego. Co-PI of the archaeological excavation (2016-2020).
- Hawland Mat & Liss Brady, Assistant Supervisors. Dept. of Anthropology, University of California San Diego (2016)
- Dr. Koh Andrew, Co-PI of the archaeological excavation. University of Brandeis and Senior Research Fellow with the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (2018-2020).
- Dr. Birney Kate, Co-PI of the archaeological excavation, Associate Professor of Classical Studies, Wesleyan University (2018-2020).
- Smith Rose, Breeze Carolyn , and Harman Taylor, development the web-based ArchaeoSTOR artifact database. Joined the team to manage and organize all excavated artifacts. Dept. of Anthropology, University of California, San Diego (2016).
- Dr. Volonakis Pantelis. IT in Cultural Heritage (2016- ), Senior Researcher.
- Vlachos Apostolos, MSc, PhD Cand., University of the Aegean, Lab. of Archaeometry. IT in Cultural Heritage (2020- ). Researcher.
- Prof.Georgopoulos Andreas, National Technical University of Athens. Director of geodetic reference points & ortho photography of the site (2016-2020).
- Dr. Roy Ian, University of Brandeis, USA. Digital and drone expert. (2018-2020).
- Ass. Prof. Karydis Christos, Dept. of Environment, University of Ionian Islands. PI of conservation of organic artifacts.(2018- ).
- Ass.Prof. Manti Panagiota, Dept. of Environment, University of Ionian Islands. PI of conservation of inorganic artifacts.(2018- ).
- Panagopoulou Manto, MSc, PhD Cand., Leiden University. Conservator.(2018- ).
- Bratitsi Maria, MSc, PhD Cand., University of the Aegean, Conservator (2019- ).
- Mpaka Mantha, Myari Maria & Vartholomatos Alexandros, Dept. of Environment, University of the Ionian Islands (2019- ).
- Assoc. Prof. Iliopoulos Ioannis University of Patras, Dept. of Geology. PI of spectroscopy and petrology analysis.(2017- ).
- Assist. Prof Baziotis Ioannis, Agricultural University of Athens, Geology Division. Senior researcher, Co-PI of mineralogy analysis.(2017- ).
- Dr. Karydas Andreas Nat. Res. Center “DEMOKRITOS”, Senior researcher, Inst. of Nuclear Physics. XRF spectroscopy analysis. Senior Researcher – PI XRF analysis.(2019- )
- Dr. Polymeris George, Nat. Res. Center “DEMOKRITOS”, Senior Researcher, Inst. of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, Luminesence and C-14 Dating.(2017- ).
- Dr. Xanthopoulou Vayia, University of Patras, Dept. of Geology, Researcher.(2017- ).
Geoarchaeology, Environmental studies.
- Prof. Tsokas Gregory Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Dept. of Geology. PI Geophysical prospection, (2016- ).
- Prof. George Papatheodorou, marine geology, University of Patras, Greece. PI of marine & terrestrial boreholing (2016- ).
- Prof. Maria Geraga, marine geology, University of Patras, Greece. co-PI of marine & terrestrial boreholing (2016- ).
- Prof. Zhen Qin, Environmental archaeology-palaeoclimates in China, (History, Culture and Archaeology, Univ. of Henan, Kaifeng, China). co-PI for environmental archaeology (2019- ).
- Dr. Chovalopoulou Marilena, University of Athens, Dept. of Biology. Senior Researcher for Anthropological Study. PI on bone study (2017- ).
- Prof. Manolis Sotiris University of Athens, Dept. of Biology. PI for Anthropological Study. PI on bone study (2016-2019).
- Prof. Changhong Miao, Henan University, Key Research Institute of Yellow River Civilization and Sustainable Development, China.Expert on Human Geography, Environment and Cultural Heritage Sites.(2017- ).
- Assoc. Prof. Papageorgiou Ioulia, Athens University of Economics & Business, Dept. of Statistics.(2018- ).